After 60-day window closes, Trump and Iran locked in escalation cycle
Key Factors
- Trump refuses ceasefire extension
- Iran prepares military offensive
- Trump threatens US ally Oman
- No active mediation or back-channel talks reported
- Strait of Hormuz becoming active combat zone
Iran Peace Deal Analysis for August 18, 2026
The 60-day memorandum between the US and Iran expired in the last 24 hours. No permanent peace deal emerged. No agreement to extend talks was reached. Trump refused to extend the ceasefire. He is now demanding Iran surrender while threatening to bomb Oman, a US ally, if it interferes with his bid to control the Strait of Hormuz. Iran rejected these demands and vowed to break any blockade with precise attacks.
Talks had already stalled weeks ago. Both sides hardened their positions. Trump shifted focus from diplomacy to controlling maritime chokepoints and forcing Iranian capitulation. Iran's leadership is preparing for renewed military operations rather than compromise.
A near-term deal looks extremely unlikely. Trump is now openly threatening a US ally over the dispute, which signals he sees the conflict as primarily about resource and power control rather than de-escalation. Iran is building toward an offensive, not preparing to negotiate. No third-party mediator or neutral ground has been reported. The two sides are not talking. They are trading threats across open channels.
The next 30 days will almost certainly bring military strikes or a formal end to all ceasefire arrangements. Trump's threats against Oman suggest he may expand the conflict to pressure Iran indirectly. Iran's readiness to attack shipping and break blockades means the Strait of Hormuz is likely to become a live war zone rather than a negotiation space.
Source Articles
- The 60-day deadline for an Iran peace deal is expiring. Here’s where things stand - AP News AP News
- 60 days after signing Iran deal, Trump stuck in quagmire as war drags on - The Washington Post The Washington Post
- Iran memorandum of understanding 60-day deadline expires without a peace deal - NewsNation NewsNation
- Trump ‘weighing nuclear attack on Iran’ as peace deal expires - telegraph.co.uk telegraph.co.uk
- Live updates: Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman as Iran agreement expires - CNN CNN
- Iran threatens new offensive while US rules out extending ceasefire deal - Reuters Reuters
- Trump says Tehran wants deal, floats US control of Strait of Hormuz, warns Iran ‘in big trouble’ - Fox News Fox News
- Iran-US war latest: Trump casts doubt over peace deal as Tehran threatens ‘precise’ attack to break Hormuz blockade - The Independent The Independent
- No new strikes, no peace deal: What Donald Trump’s ‘low-key’ Iran strategy means - The Times of India The Times of India
- Iran war updates: ‘Some good signs’ peace deal can be reached, says Rubio - Al Jazeera Al Jazeera
- Ship attacked in Hormuz Strait as U.S.-Iran ceasefire expiry risks prolonged conflict - CNBC CNBC
- US-Iran ceasefire set to expire with talks at a standstill - Politico Politico
- US rules out Iran truce extension as Tehran official sets new deadline - Iran International Iran International
- US-Iran 60-day ceasefire agreement expires with no permanent deal in sight - Scripps News Scripps News
- The U.S.-Iran ceasefire is set to expire with talks at a standstill - News4JAX News4JAX